30 January 2009

The A-Team

 Yes, 20th Century Fox is planning a big-screen version of the 1980s series The A-Team. The action will be updated to the present day, with the quartet serving their tour of duty in the Middle East instead of Vietnam. Joe Carnahan (Smokin' Aces, Narc.) in believed to be in negotiations to direct the movie.

I watched the original show in the 1980s and I still remember the opening sequence voiceover:
'In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team.' [queue the amazing signature theme tune]
So, who should be cast as Col. John 'Hannibal' Smith (George Clooney?), Lt. Templeton 'Faceman' Peck (originally played by Dirk Benedict [who was also the original Starbuck in BattleStar Galactica]) [Christian Bale perhaps?], Capt. H.M. 'Howling Mad' Murdock (can anyone replace Dwight Schultz?) and Sgt. Bosco B.A. ('Bad Attitude') Baracus?

And who can forget such memorable catchphrases as 'I ain't gettin' on no plane!'?

So, if it is released will you go and see it? Do we think 20th Century Fox can do it justice? And who can still remember the theme tune?

7 comments:

  1. Would you believe that with all the bad TV I watched during the '80s, I have actually never, ever watched an episode of the A Team?

    It sounds like it was a lot of fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never watched The A-Team? It was a classic! I might have to hunt down the theme music for you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one can replace Dwight Schultz.

    :sigh: I wish studios stopped ruining great shows with lousy movies--let people discover the shows through DVD or syndication, people!

    /old foggy rant

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited about this. I loved the A-Team. I will be seeing this in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm - I know what you mean azteclady. The remake of The Dukes of Hazzard didn't work for me and I still haven't see the Miami Vice remake. Saying that, the new Battlestar Galactica completely works and.....it's The A-Team. Like KB I just have to see it :) Watching the original I just wanted to be Hannibal's daughter and marry Face...when I wasn't wanting to marry MASH's Hawkeye :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. orannia, sorry but your couldn't have married Face. You see, I'd done it already!! :)

    I'd be waiting for some reviews before deciding if I'd see it. Maybe I should just rent the original series instead?

    ReplyDelete