23 February 2009

Idiota!

I have Foot IN Mouth disease...I always seem to come out with the wrong thing at the wrong time. Today, however, I had the opposite problem. I kept quiet when I should have spoken up.

I went to see the family lawyer, and while there he congratulated me on my pregnancy. I'm not pregnant! I suppose I was wearing a peasant top, which could be considered maternity wear at a stretch, but I don't think I look pregnant. I'm not skinny but... And my response to this statement? Unfortunately, I froze! I had the same comment made to me late last year and when I explained I wasn't pregnant I spent the next 10-15 minutes drowning in apologies and getting progressing redder and redder. So, today I said nothing; just nodded. And the lawyer spent the next 20 minutes mentioning it. I wanted to crawl under the chair and hide...I still do :(

Now I don't know what to do. Do I ring, explain the situation and apologise? Or do I say nothing?

Updated to change the title, since 'OOPS!' didn't quite seem to cover it :)

Updated (again) to inform you that I contacted the lawyer and explained everything and apologised. All is good...PHEW!

8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry about it, the next time he sees you and your not any bigger he will understand that he made a mistake.

    Most likely he will then be to embarressed to say anything, problem solved.

    I unfortunately had the opposite problem where I congratulated someone that wasnt, it was just their top and she had a very perfectly rounded stomach.

    I near died of embarressment LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why on earth would *you* apologize?

    If and when you see him again, and *if* he mentions it, you could say, "well, I didn't point out your mistake because I didn't want to embarrass you" and let it go at that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I've been known to make faux pas, you just have the brazen it out.

    As to the comment from the lawyer, well probably best at "I'm not" and stop at that. But that's me. Brunt and to the point. Must be that engineer training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! I feel like such an idiot this morning (hence the title change). Am honestly thinking of ringing him this morning and explaining... I should probably add social skills to my 'to learn' list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah! Learn how to brazen it through. Must more useful skill. `-^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooooohhhh! I like Aymless attitude!

    *makes note: "learn to brazen it through"*

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's me... completely shAymless... *g* And the good thing is that it can be used in any occasion.

    ReplyDelete