20 May 2009

Rant

Caveat: I don't mean any disrespect to either the author or her work. I'm just frustrated with pretty much everything at present and, unfortunately, a certain book has become the focus of my frustration. So I apologise in advance if I cause offence - it is not my intention to do so.

I am currently reading a book (no points for guessing which one) that is engendering...dare I say it...I hate to say it...apathy! *lowers head* I've been reading this particular book for 10 days and I have only read 315 pages. Reading it feels like wading through treacle. I am no doubt going to be hung, drawn and quartered (or perhaps that might be too optimistic of me) for saying this but....I'm beginning to wonder if I've reached my breaking point. What is so shocking is that is it THIS book and THIS author...who'd have thought? I've been devouring this author's books since the moment I picked the first one up. I haven't been as enthralled with the latter books, but I still enjoyed them. Honestly, I never expected to feel like this.

Where to start? There's the product placement - I mean, seriously people, do we need to have a brand name for the oats that one of the characters is eating? Can't he just be eating oats? Is your reading experience adversely affected if you don't know that the brand of oats said character is eating is Quaker? Because mine sure isn't! I honestly feel like I'm whirring around in the washing machine of advertising...I'm dreading the dryer! And then there are the products, some of which I've never even heard off...I understand that the author is based in North America, but it would be nice if there was some (any) consideration made to those of us who reside outside of North America and thus won't know the products or names referred too. Particularly when it reflects on a character's state of mind. And I'm not even going to get started on how said products date the book. Nor am I going to get on my soap box *looks down* (OOPS! Already on it!) about the scene I read this morning in which one character was bemoaning the fact that she was wearing clothes from GAP (which I have heard of BTW). I say nothing!

And then there's the slang, which is driving me nuts...'I'm outtie'? How about 'fiddiot' or 'gen pop'? Maybe it's just me, but the slang de-fangs all the supposedly bad-a*s characters. I can't take anyone seriously if they say outtie! Then again, I could handle (JUST!) the slang if it was confined to the dialogue, but it's not! Do we really need slang in the non-dialogue text as well? What did I read the other day (in the main text BTW, not the dialogue)? 'Bisniz'! For goodness sake - it's business! What has happened to the English language? Is it unfashionable? What will the next book include? Text lingo? And what about the abbreviations? Anyone else feel like they missed the lecture notes?

And then there are all the plot strings. I feel like I'm on a yo yo, whizzing around from plot to plot. Or, sticking with the washing machine metaphor, on the spin cycle! And currently, there's only one plot that's keeping my interest going, and it's not the one I thought it would be either. Because the plot I thought would hook me is so saccharine I almost can't take any more!

Oh, and consistency....or lack thereof, particularly with the characters. Don't worry, I'm only dancing around this one, not heading in guns blazing! One character, who has been, to all intents and purposes, a dominant in the initial books is suddenly acting submissive...is that normal? (And yes that is a genuine question.) And then there is the 'evil' character. Could he be any more of a slapstick evil character? He seems to have a cunningly evil plan, but all his lackeys are idiots! But then, at least he has a plan. His opposing number - no clue! For goodness sake, you have a fully trained police officer in your midst - USE HIM! The plan you're currently using (one that you've been using for centuries I might add) obviously isn't working!

*SIGH* In the book's defence, I think perhaps I am reading it at the wrong time... I'm sure if I was in a better (read different) frame of mind all of the above 'issues', if I can call them that, wouldn't be annoying and I would just enjoy the book as I have its predecessors. And I'm sure at this point you're all yelling at me, asking me why I'm bothering with the book if I have this many issues with it. I've already had someone ask me why I am persevering with it. Because...because I don't want to let go....because I keep hoping it will get better...or I will get with the programme and fall madly back in
love...

So, has there ever been a series that has driven you almost to the point of no return but rescued itself at the last moment? Hope....please *begging* ...I need hope!

18 comments:

  1. I love you, I adore you, and I don't even need to read *this* last book in the series to nod my head with you.

    Honesty, it's refreshing.

    The dominant who magically becomes submissive? bull. shit. Total and utter bullshit.

    I wish, though, that I could offer you hope, but I can't. I quit this one as I've quit several others before it gets to the point where I get actually angry about the destruction of a good premise/series/character.

    I'd say this is one of the very rare cases where apathy is oh so much better than passion.

    (((orannia)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((azteclady)))

    Thank you! *deep breath* I've been sitting here shivering...petrified as to the potential responses (if any) to this post :) I don't hate the book....I'm just frustrated with things that previously haven't bothered me as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh... I feel your pain. Not with *this* book but definitely with the series. And yes product placement totally sucks and most of the time it is totally unnecessary. I really don't need to know what brand of oats his eating.

    But like the poor OCD chum I am, I'll probably read this book somewhere down the line. What can I say. I am a series slut. Once hooked I'm stuck to the bitter end. Maybe it's the wish that it might get better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's the wish that it might get better.That I completely understand. After all, in spite of the rant, I'm still reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. (((orannia)))

    Look, perhaps this, and this, and this will help you see that you are oh man, soooo not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you azteclady! Very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if you saw my post about LA, but I pretty much said the same thing. Almost complete apathy about the whole thing, and I just kept wondering when it was going to end! And don't get me started on "outtie". Srsly? I cringe everytime I see that word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The reason why you can't get into the book makes sense. You give great examples. The book is a big 600 pages of yo-yoing back and forth with certain slang, hello fidiot, that is very annoying. A grown man saying outtie makes me role my eyes. The reason I read this book is for the one storyline, which I was pleased with even though the hero did have somewhat of a brain transplant at certain points.
    If the author toned down the slang and some of the yo-yo storylines, it would have been a really great read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *pats hand*

    There, there darlin'. I was this way with Butch's book. All of a sudden I hit the wall and was just PISSED. OFF. Stacy can tell you, she was on the receiving end of my JR Ward hissy fit. I was SO upset. How could an author who had been a best beloved, often pimped, go-to re-read turn in a piece of shit like this??

    I was bitter through V's book, and even more so through Phury's. And then I was irate when I read the Compendium and she wrote that lovely little story about Z & Bella, which just served to illustrate to me that the woman CAN write romance, she just...doesn't.

    But I do get it. Honestly I do. You feel obligated to read the book because you've loved her work. But it's just not at all what you wanted it to be. And that makes you bitter.

    I get it.

    *Pats hand*

    No really.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm. I quit this series a couple of books ago, so I've nothing to say about this particular title. But IMO reading for pleasure automatically means stopping when a book drives me crazy. Life is too short & my TBR is too big to read stuff that drives me bananas. :)

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of this series before, but... I have had a similar experience. Except it was a book in the middle of a series that drove me batty. (I realised belatedly that the only reason I didn't want to smack it against the wall was because I needed the escapism/occupation too much to put it down.)

    I do agree with Bookwormom, though. I've only recently learned that lesson, but I'm already very happy that I did. It's saved me several hours of teeth-gnashing and strangulation wishes already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had some of the same feelings about this series even if I did enjoy this one.

    The Author that drives me a little batty but everyone loves?

    Kreseley Cole and her Immortals After Dark series. I LOVE some of the books and then there are ones that I have to force myself to read so I can read the next book that I hear is amazing!

    Why do I keep reading the series? Because I’m scared that I’m going to miss out on a great book.

    So I can totally feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't read enough in this series to get upset and I'm glad of that. It seems to have two of my pet peeves - product placement - I hate that in books - and too many characters. I prefer ONE storyline with maybe, if given just the right amount of time, a secondary love story. Any more than that and chances are I won't finish the book. I was quite disappointed not long ago in a book by an author I really enjoy - I've read some real keepers by her - in fact just the previous book. But she was juggling to many story lines and I just couldn't finish it - broke my heart it did.
    And yep - life is too short and there are too many books to keep reading one that isn't working. I say give it up - at least for now - and move on to another one - Broken Wing perhaps *evil laughter*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I totally understand! I'm actually reading book 2 of BDB, so I guess I can see what's coming down the pike.

    My version of this is the Anita Blake series. I LOVED this series for the first, oh, something like 8 books. Then, not so much. (The erotic shift/content bothers me less than some of the other changes that have come along in the series.) Yet, I continue to read them.

    I don't usually have a problem with putting a book down (or even quitting a series) if it no longer "does it" for me, but there are 2 things that keep me reading this series:

    1. Optimism: That the book I'm reading at the time will get better before the end. And, that the next book will be better than the last, recapturing what I so love about the series.

    2. Emotional investment: Over the course of the series, I've come to care about the characters, and want to know what's going on with them. They have become sort of like the friends (we all have them) that make bad decisions in life, but we still love, and hope that they will change.

    If you do decide to lay the book down, don't beat yourself up about it. Sometimes we need a clean break when things aren't working out. If you decide to keep reading it, just keep looking forward, and hope for a better day. (And less product placement.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Despite the disappointments (not enough Rehv and Ehlena) and annoyances (cringe-worthy language and what must be income generating product placement) I really enjoyed Lover Avenged. Possibly because I liked but didn't love Lover Revealed - dammit LR was supposed to be hot but ultimately was NOT; liked but didn't love Lover Unbound - by the end of LR I was actually intrigued by V but by the end of LU I was so over him; very disappointed in Lover Enshrined - Phury and his continuous pity party was a turn off and I just couldn't find any emotion between him and Cormia. For me the contrast between Lover Enshrined and Lover Avenged possibbly made Rehv's book more enjoyable to read but at the end of it I was satisfied with the story. Will definitely hang around for JM and Xhex's book, but possibly not after that.

    I'm trying to wean myself off Stephanie Laurens' Cynster series. I loved this series up to On A Wicked Dawn, but the books since then just haven't held my interest as much as the earlier Cynster books.

    I'm also nearing the end of my Sherrilyn Kenyon fascination - have only found the occasional release of the last couple of years interesting. Never could get onto the Acheron bandwagon so I found Acheron hard to read.

    One book I didn't finish recently was Silver Falls by Anne Stuart - love her Ice series but really couldn't get into this one

    ReplyDelete
  16. *hugs* Oh, honey, I soooooo understand where you're coming from. If you ever do read my review (on Good & Bad Books), you'll see why I say that.

    The product-placement was completely & totally ridiculous, as was the slang. I had a hard time believing in the "romance" and HATED John Matthew (I think I'm the only one though). So, you're not alone. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. No caveat needed, in my opinion. You have every right to your view of the book and as the comments have shown, you're not alone.

    This books is sitting on the hold shelf at the library waiting for me and I haven't been able to decide it I'm going to pick it up or not. But I think this post is the final straw - beacuse my reaction is: sigh, I can't be bothered.

    If I'm feeling that way about a 600 page book, what's the point in using up the time I could use reading something else. So thank you for helping to push me into a decision. I think J. R. Ward and I have officially broken up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just want to say a HUGE thank you for all your insightful comments! (((HUGS))) And you're right Kati...I do feel like I've hit a wall. I'm persevering though - 130 pages to go!

    If you ever do read my review (on Good & Bad Books), you'll see why I say that.I will Bridget! As soon as I finished the book (hopefully by tomorrow because if I haven't one of my local librarians is going to gut me - she can't talk about it as no one apart from me is reading it and she's fit to burst :) I will race over and read your review!

    ReplyDelete