07 May 2009

Traffic Jam! (Part II)

As you may have noticed, I am currently reading Blue Diablo (and yes I am enjoying it!). After considerable thought, I have decided to try and play 'pick & mix' with a complete TBR list to ensure that I read not only the books on my library hold list, but also those that I have won/borrowed and those that I have bought over the past year, which are currently languishing in boxes (since I am unable to unpack them). Therefore, this weekend I will attempt to draft a revised TBR list to include those books not on my library hold list that I want to read. I will then peruse BOTH lists before selecting a book, although I will try and ensure that I continue my 'first on, first off' policy *grin*

I am also planning to allow some new releases to 'queue jump' *shock horror* (otherwise they will suffer the fate of Broken Wing [which I STILL haven't read (I'm sorry Kristie (J)...I know I am a bad person *hangs head*)] and languish on my library hold list for what feels like eternity!) To that end, I unfroze my hold on Lover Avenged...and it is now 'In Transit' *jumps about with glee* (Don't you just love library terminology?) As it has numerous holds (over 50) placed on it by other patrons, I will enact yet another rule and read it ahead of When Gods Die (CS Harris), which I currently have issued out to me. (Unfortunately, this means I won't be able to discuss it with my friend for a while). Hmmm. Traffic Jam [Part II] is a rather apt title for this post...

Obviously the rigid control I exert over my life extends to the pleasurable pursuit of reading... Does anyone else think I have too many rules...or that I am over thinking this?

Edited: To correctly add Kristie (J)'s name *slaps hand against head* DUH!

15 comments:

  1. Reading is important, so I wouldn't say "over thinking" is accurate--as long as it doesn't become stressful.







    Of course, considering that I have lists (books I want; books I've gotten through blog giveaways; books I've gotten through authors giveaways; books I promised to review, w/deadlines; books I want to read with my s.o.; books I bought and haven't read yet; books I want to re-read and review because they are amazing; books missing in a series that I have yet to read--just to name a few) I'm probably not the right person to talk about this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. azteclady - that is a scary number of lists! How do you keep track of it all?

    And can I just say I'm LOVING Blue Diablo. There are some phrases in there that really reach out and grab me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey do whatever feels good. Reading is supposed to be fun and relaxing. Its not like we get paid to read these books. And AL said, don't let it become a stress point.

    I keep my TBR on an excel spreadsheet (my TBB and library are text files on my ipod so I don't end up buying something twice). Nerdy!! I know. But at least I know what I have. I just have remember to update it when I get a new book and when I finish a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to add that I too still have Broken Wing on my TBR. *sigh* *hides behind Orannia*

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hides behind Aymless hiding behind orannia*

    *whispers* me too

    Isn't Blue Diablo GREAT?

    ReplyDelete
  6. *whipping head around wildly to look at Aymless and azteclady*

    I can't face the wrath by myself :) Maybe if we promised faithfully to read Broken Wing by a certain date we might be spared?

    And I like the idea of an Excel spreadsheet Aymless. Although, both you and azteclady are very wise. Reading should not lead to stress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say that up until I decided to jump over onto goodreads and keep relative track, I just read whatever I had on hand. Of course, I'm a complete freak and read EXTREMELY fast, so I don't necessarily have a TBR pile. I know...I'm crazy. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently set up my books I've read this year, current reads and TBR and Good Reads and I have to say that it is a lovely way to skim through the TBR to make a decision. I recommend it.

    Maybe Orannia, Amyless and Azteclady need to plan to read Broken Wing together and do a combined comment on it. I'd read that.

    I may have to add Blue Diablo to my own TBR as it is getting such good buzz. Oh no. Although I think I've almost decided to let my current library books go back unread and take some pressure off that way. I have my next few books already preselected so that takes away the need for a decision, but also some of the potential surprise. (I can't remember how to spell suprise all of a sudden - which one is right?)

    So Orannia, the point of this ramble being that you a far from alone and we all have to find our own ways to deal with our own TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, so the line order goes:

    orannia
    azteclady
    aymless
    renee

    lol. Yes, it's in my tbr pile, too!

    I actually use pages on my blog to keep track of my tbr list and my tbb list. That way, I can used my Palm to check them out when I am at the bookstore or library.

    I pull from the tbr shelves based on my mood, what's due at the library, what's "deadline" reading (for reviews, book club, or challenges. Of course, sometimes things will just jump ahead cause I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cry foul!

    the line order is:

    orannia
    Aymless
    azteclady
    renee

    There are TWO people between me and Kristie's wrath, I'll have you know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey I liked Renee's order better! *g*

    *whimpers at the thought of Kristie's wrath*

    ReplyDelete
  12. The line order is:

    orannia
    Aymless
    azteclady
    renee
    *shakes head* I thought I was the only perpetrator! I think we need to show remorse for our heinous crime of not yet reading Broken Wing...and demonstrate a willingness to change (because that might be the only thing that saves us...ur...me, since I'm at the front of the queue).

    *throws gauntlet down* Stay tuned!

    Oh, and I've updated the post to correct insert Kristie (J)'s name *embarrassed*

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL Renee - you too :)

    You're not crazy Bridget (or if you are then a good crazy :) Just a very fast reader! And I like the 'whatever is on hand' approach :)

    Kerry - the first surprise is the right one :) Sometimes I think 'the' is spelt wrong...very concerning! Hmm...I like the GoodBooks idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely recommend keeping track of the to-read list on Goodreads. It makes it very easy to scan the list and figure out what to read next.

    The only problem with that is that it does show you just how shocking it is how quickly the list grows out of control... But I just try to ignore that number. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Kristen! I might have to look into the GoodBooks option over the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete