10 September 2009

Location, Location, Location

Warning: snark ahead! (But no, I didn't hunt the snark [LOL] - it found me!

Caveat: I don't mean any disrespect to either the author or her work, so I apologise in advance if I cause offence - it is not my intention to do so.

So, I'm reading DawnKeepers, the second in The Final Prophecy series by JR Ward Jessica Andersen. And before you ask, that faux pas was completely accidental - I honestly just starting typing the wrong name - although considering the reminder of my post it's rather ironic...my subconscious was obviously pulling strings. Anyway...8 pages in and the following phase appears:

..woman of worth...

*looks at front cover* I am reading a Jessica Andersen book, aren't I? Never mind.

*keeps reading*

Nor Cal? What is Nor Cal...or should that be where? I'm guessing Northern California, but no, I'm not putting money down on that.

*keeps reading*

OnStar? WTF is OnStar? I'm guessing something like a car alarm system, but not exactly, or else I would have read 'car alarm'.

*fires up the not-so-trusty computer*

OnStar is the in-vehicle safety and security system created to help protect you and your family on the road. OnStar's innovative three-button system* offers:

* 24-hour access to expertly trained, caring Advisors;

* A connection to emergency assistance;

* Access to OnStar Hands-Free Calling.

Note - I didn't capitalize, OnStar did.

So here's my dilemma. I don't live in North America. We don't have OnStar here nor do I know if the abbreviation for Northern California is Nor Cal. It's like a location joke - you have to be there to understand it. And while I'm not expecting authors to completely change what they write just for me, it would be nice if they realised that not all of their readers live in North America (although I will concede that the vast majority do) and thus their use of location abbreviations or brands makes absolutely no sense to those of us who live 'outside' and simply throws us (me) out of the story.

And while we're at it - wouldn't 'in-vehicle safety and security system' have sufficed? What's with the branding?

Then today, while reading, I kept stumbling over the term 'convo'. Now, the use of that term just makes my blood boil, because while I can accept slang in speech, I don't think it has a place outside of it. Am seriously hoping that the use of brands...and phrases like 'woman of worth' aren't a reflection of the influence of said author's critique partner... *bites tongue* *gets off soap box*

Ranting aside, I am enjoying DawnKeepers. I love the mythology and the snippets of information on ancient civilisations. Apart from Rabbit, who I simply adore, and Anna, who I really think deserves a HEA, the couple I'm hanging out to read about is Sven and Cara. And no, I have no idea if they will actually be a couple, I'm just hoping *grin*

16 comments:

  1. Orannia, I must comment on this one and although I live in the North America, I agree with your assessment.

    The usage of cute pet names for settings, (Nor Cal must be a regional abbreviation) slang and brand names that many readers don't even understand (or want to know/read about) is a pet peeve we seem to share.

    Glad you're enjoying it despite the above problems, I've heard good things about the mythology in this series, problems aside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, orannia, to pieces.

    To pieces, you hear?







    Though we really need to break you out of the over-apologetic tone habit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know as I was reading this, I realized... this is why I've been getting annoyed by my reading lately. Little things that I used to be able to ignore and enjoy the book, I no longer can. I couldn't even pinpoint a book, or a situation that started it... but I've found I'm not really willing to give certain books a try, just because I know I'm not in the mood for the author's style.

    The final straw for me was while I was reading Dark Curse (C.Feehan). I couldn't get over how annoying the whole pet names were. And the fact that they were first written in Carpathian, then in English over and over was beyond aggravating. The whole repetition of the soul mate thing was beyond annoying for me this time. I get it, I've read all the books... she's your other half, I know. I'm giving the whole "soul mate" trope a break for a while.

    Anywho, sorry for complaining on your blog, but I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Errr... former Nor Cal girl (*g*) here.

    Totally get your rant and snarkiness. I hate having to interrupt reading to look something up. Authors really need to aware of the international nature of publishing these days.

    Mariana: I really hate the whole Carpathian language. ugh. The books were fine without them and the chanting... don't get me started.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would that be a convosation? :P I don't mind slang in books, as long as it's nice overused or feels like a gimmick. Or is just plain dumb like convo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Aymless - The chanting!!!! Oh my gawd! Yeah, let's not get started.

    Also, how about all the extra at the end? How the language originated, all the chants and what they mean, etc. I thought I was getting more story, but no... stuff that should be on the website if I cared to find out more info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilica - thank you! I thought it was maybe just me. The reference to OnStar drove me absolutely mad! And yes, the mythology is very good.

    *blushes* (((azteclady))) Am working on the overly apologetic tone, but it's going to be a long process...

    Mariana - feel free to rant away any time. I haven't read any of the Carpathian books (the sheer number of them completely puts me off) and I'm thinking I'm glad I haven't. And I'm not going to ask about the chanting :)

    Amyless - thank you (and I'm guessing from your comment that I was right about what Nor Cal stands for :) I was bit worried that my snark was OTT!

    LOL heidenkind! Convo is still appearing, but if I ignore it and the editing, which isn't actually that good, it's a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't managed to read the first book yet - Nightkeepers or Skykeepers or something like that! I did try to start it ages ago and really must try again soon. There are some things I'm willing to over look when I am reading a favourite author (Christine Feehan's Dark series is a favourite of mine) but the overuse of brand names and slang is just too much for me and is one of the things that is slowly putting me of JR Ward's books. I'm just going to having to bite the bullet and try Jessica Andersen's series soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The brand naming drives me a bit bonkers, I'll admit it. I think once is ok, but after that it's just ridiculous.

    Glad you're enjoying the book. I stopped reading this one after the first. Not that I didn't like it but I didn't love it and didn't feel compelled to read on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mariana: damn if those stupid language extras at the end get my hopes up for an excerpt or more story! *big pout* If you are really (and I meaning dying) disparate for entertainment you can always listen to them on Feehan's site. Gawd! I need my brain examined for doing so.

    Orannia: You got it! Of course the first time I saw the reference it was for a moving company and it threw me because I'm originally from So Cal. *wink* A little extra American/Cal slang for you. And congrats "Best Commenter"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ShellBell - how is the UK? I must admit JR Ward's last book (Lover Avenged) was (to quote Kati) my hitting the wall book (I think). The branding and slang drove me almost insane. WRT Jessica Andersen's series...they are good but...almost too detailed. Am loving the mythology though :)

    Tracy - I was quite tempted at the beginning to stop reading, but I keep going and I'm glad I did. I'm not reading it for the romance though, but for the mythology. Bad, I know :)

    Aymless - thank you :) ummm, 'best commentator'? You've lost me...but that isn't difficult :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Err... Heidenkind nominated you as "best commentator" for BBAW and I was agreeing. Maybe all this new job thing is frying my brain. *shutting up now* ^_~

    Nope still chatty. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! That is so sweet! *blushes*

    And I'm glad you're still chatty :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so with you Orannia! I bought this book but haven't started reading it yet. Mostly because I hate that Andersen drops Ward's name all the time (I have yet to see an interview or blog post she's done where she didn't mention it) and all the pop culture references in her books. And don't get me started on the slang.

    I live in California (Southern) and the Nor Cal reference bothered me. There's a line there that shouldn't be crossed, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Holly :) One thing that had me raising an eyebrow was JR Ward's quote on the front cover...and yet IIRC JR Ward is Jessica Andersen's critique partner. To me that relationship is a conflict of interest...then again, to be fair, I guess it would be hard to find someone you didn't know to comment on your book...

    and I'm not touching the slang. I ranted on that long enough while reading Lover Avenged *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh for crying out loud. I think I have the first Anderson book on my TBR, but damn it if I wasn't expecting something more original from Ward's critique partner. I don't know if I could get through the first book now...

    ReplyDelete