10 October 2009

New Zealand Book Month

October is New Zealand Book Month. And because it is, I thought I would introduce some New Zealand authors to you:

* Nalini Singh. Need I say more? Who isn't hanging out to read Blaze of Memory? Well...apart from those of you who have already read an ARC *grin*

* Emily Gee. Author of The Thief With No Shadow and the more recent The Laurentine Spy (which is on my TBR list).

* Maurice Gee. Yes, he has the same last name as the previous author, and that is because he is her father! Maurice Gee has written a number of books, but the one I know the most well is Under the Mountain [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_The_Mountain_(2009_film)], which is to be released as a motion picture in December:
When teenage twins Rachel and Theo Matheson investigate the creepy old house next door, they discover the Wilberforces - shape-shifting creatures that lurk beneath Auckland's ring of extinct volcanoes. Guided by the mysterious Mr Jones and with the help of their older cousin Ricky, the twins must rekindle the unique powers they once shared if they are to destroy this ancient evil - before it destroys them.
And New Zealand Book Month wouldn't be complete without including my favourite book: My Cat Likes To Hide In Boxes! Yes, it's a children's book, but it is still brilliant.

Happy reading!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea Singh and Gee were New Zealanders! I actually have The Laurentine Spy in my TBR pile, plus one of Singh's books. Hmmm, maybe I should make an effort to read them before the month is out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to see what the new Under the Mountain movie will be like. Since we now live near Lake Pupuke I feel more invested in the book these days. I often give a copy to overseas friends who come to stay.

    I have just got The Changeover by Margaret Mahy out of the library and I'm planning to read that for NZ Book Month. I seem Marcus picked up some NZ books on the same library trip, so I'll make sure to read those to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heidenkind - to be strictly honest, Nalini was born in Fiji but raised in New Zealand... And I have The Laurentine Spy on my TBR list too. I'd love to read it this month, but somehow I can't see that happening. Hmmm, maybe if I start it before the end of the month?

    Kerry - I also want to see what Under The Mountain (the movie) will be like. The original TV series was SCARY! Good luck with reading The Changeover :)

    ReplyDelete