16 November 2009

Alternate Endings

Today I stopped in at my local library and picked up When Shadows Fade, the fifth and final book in Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles:
Directly descended from the very first vampire hunter in the Gardella family, Victoria knows she must continue the lineage so humanity will have protectors against the undead. While Sebastian Vioget appears to be both the perfect warrior and lover to ensure the Gardella Legacy, Victoria cannot forget Max Pesaro - the former slayer still haunted by the vampire queen Lilith's obsession with him. But it is Lilith's obsession that may save all of humanity. Demons, enemies of both mortals and the undead, have found their way to Earth. To defeat them, vampires and slayers must work side by side. But Lilith wants Max in return for her cooperation - a small price for the world, but too high a price for Victoria.
Those of you who have read, or indeed heard of, this series, know that at its heart there is a love triangle between Victoria, Sebastian and Max. (Note, this post is not going anywhere near love triangles *grin*) Now, even though I haven't read this book I have a fair idea who Victoria ends up with (and no, I didn't peak). Unfortunately, I think Victoria's choice for Victoria is the opposite of orannia's choice for Victoria *grin* And that got me to thinking - even though I respect the author immensely for an amazing series and I am looking forward to reading this final installment, part of wishes that the choice Victoria makes is a different one...

So, I'm wondering, am I the only one who wants an alternate ending to a book? And...is it disrespectful to the author for me to want an alternate ending?

10 comments:

  1. You know, I can't answer the question. I can't think of an example where I've felt that way, but that doesn't mean it never has.

    And speaking of Victoria, would someone like to email me (kerryATcreationsDOTcoDOTnz) and tell me who she ends up with? I only read the first book and don't feel any particular inclination to read the rest, but I am curious to know the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't finished this series yet (and I'm not likely to any time soon), but I don't think it's disrespectful to the author at all. That's where fan fiction starts, isn't it--you're so into the world the author has created that you want to make your own story with it. I think that's a compliment to the author and his/her ability to take the reader into the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely don't think it is disrespectful. I think the author would appreciate that you care that much for the series that you are anxious for the "right" ending :)

    Without spoilers, I LOVED this series. I also was happy with the ending though ;) Can't wait to discuss it with you! Plus I hear we haven't seen all of this world yet....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, funny! I agree with the above - I haven't read the series, but I'm sure the author appreciates your passion about it! And heck, I havent' approved of all my girlfriend's boyfriends.

    Gosh, I really want to read this series now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry - I've emailed you. And while I haven't read the last two books in the Twilight series, I have a feeling (just a little one) that I'll want an alternate ending for that series too...but then I don't think I'm the only one *grin*

    Thank you heidenkind...and yes, a lot of fanfiction springs from alternate endings. I'd forgotten about that :) No fanfiction writing for me though - I'm worse than useless *grin*

    Mandi - thank you. I remember when I first started reading the books (I started a little late :) Team Sebastian and Team Max had already been formed. I look forward to discussing it with you too. It's the next book - after Grimspace :) And there could be more...ohhhh!

    CJ - think historical paranormal with vampires...and a very strong heroine. Kati would be the person to talk to IMHO :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the first book in this series a few summers ago and really enjoyed it. And uh. . . I admit that I continued to buy all the books for my TBR along the way.

    I have wished for an alternate ending once before. It was a very heartbroken and angry wish, too. LOVER UNBOUND by J.R. Ward. I'll refrain from ranting and just leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (((Christine))) Lover Unbound.....yes! Absolutely yes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friggin' ghost. Wtf?


    Gah! I couldn't help but say more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't help it either! *shakes fist at ghost ending*

    ReplyDelete
  10. (((Christine + Mandi))) It's just...words fail me.

    ReplyDelete