22 January 2010

Converted

Last year I was lucky enough to win a copy of Magic Bites (Ilona Andrews), the first book in the Kate Daniels series, from the lovely effervescent Shaymless Amyless of Shaymless Amyless' Thoughts on Books and Life. I was hesitant at picking the book up because UF heroines and I have a murky history...more often than not I finish a book feeling less. (I know, one shouldn't compare oneself to a UF heroine, but we all have bad habits *grin*) However, since I won this book I decided to (attempt to) be brave and read it. And...I really enjoyed it! I picked up the second book - Magic Burns - over the New Year. I love it when a book surprises me, when it turns my expectations upside down and inside out:

'I shouldn't have nagged', he said. 'I get like that sometimes.'
'It's okay'...I knew why he got like that. I'd seen him meticulously fold his clothes. His shave was perfect, his hair cut short, his nails clean and trimmed. I bet his room didn't have a single item out of place. When you live in chaos as a child, you strive to impose order over the world. Unfortunately, the world refuses to comply, so you have to settle for trying to control yourself, your habitat, and your friends.
That's me! Pretty much in a nutshell. I didn't expect such an insight - my bad for labelling where I should not have. It made me realise that in amongst the intricate plots, fascinating characters (am I the only one who loves Derek? I think not, although he's all mine! *cue evil laugh*) there is such depth and insight. And Kate...I love Kate. She feels realistic - all that time spent training to the detriment of all else? Because after all there are only so many hours in the day. (I'm going to tease this thread out over the weekend...I think there is a post in it somewhere *grin* I'm a post-hound :)

And I've just finished reading Magic Strikes (the third book) [OMG it's good!] and found this little gem:

All of my guilt, all of my worry, all the anxiety and pain and regret, everything I had carefully packaged and stuffed away into the deepest recesses of myself so I could function, all of it swelled into an unbearable pressure. I fought to contain it, but it was like trying to hold back the tide. A hint of relief was all it took. The flood burst through my defenses and drowned me.
So I simply had to let me fingers do the walking to determine if there was to be a fourth book (there is - Magic Bleeds) and as for what it is about...you can read all about it here! We wants it! Is it June yet? Me? A fan girl? Why ever would you think that?

So, have you been converted to a new author lately? A HUGE thank you to Shamyless Aymless for persevering in spite of my UF heroine block with this series - I so appreciate it! *happy dance*

Edited to correct the name of the title of the second book. Thank tabzyreads!

13 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so happy you like Kate... she's fantastic!! This series is one of my all time favorites. I'm soooo wishing I could get my hands on Magic Bleeds RIGHT NOW! Especially after reading IA's blog.

    P.S. Derek is great too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second book is Magic Burns, correct? You listed Magic Bites twice, as first and second book.

    I have both 1st and 2nd book but haven't read them. I'm hesitant to start because the blurb doesn't interest me. Why did I buy them? Because I read lots of good reviews and they were pretty cheap at used so I couldn't resist. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariana - definitely love Kate. I want to get my hands on Magic Bleeds too! Derek... *SIGH* Magic Strikes just about tore me apart!

    tabzyreads - thank you for spotting the error - all corrected now :) I too was hesitant to read the first book, but I enjoyed it, and the books definitely get better as the series progresses IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one of these is one of those books I have but have not yet read but I've heard enough about them by now that I have decided I must read it this year. Guess I'd better read it really soon...

    As far as new authors I've been convered to lately goes, I'd have to say Joan D. Vinge, Kristin Cashore, Laini Taylor and Ginn Hale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Another convert.

    Actually, I think that there are a number of uf authors who have much more nuanced characters than the stereotypical "kick ass heroine".

    I think Kate is an example of someone who appears to be a "tough girl" until her layers are peeled back over the course of the series. (Another thing I love about uf: getting the time to know a character and seeing them grow over a number of books.

    A couple of other similar heroines? Elena from Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series, Rae from Robin McKinley's Sunshine (my re-read challenge book this month!), Toby from Seanan McGuire's Rosemary and Rue.

    I can't wait for Magic Bleeds! Have you read Ilona Andrews' new series? I loved the first one, On the Edge--sort of a hybrid uf/pnr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen - I like the first book, but really enjoyed the second and loved the third. IMO, Ilona Andrews' writing keeps getting better as the series progresses. And Ginn Hale - I can't wait for the sequel to Wicked Gentlemen!

    Renee - definite convert *grin* I love the more nuanced UF heroine. I haven't read Robin McKinley's Sunshine, but have read and loved The Blue Sword. Rosemary & Rue is on my TBR list, as is On the Edge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy sent the first one to me as well but I just couldn't get into it. I think I still have it - will have to try again sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracy - I have to be honest, I didn't start it for quite a while after receiving it. I was worried that I would like it (UF heroine and all that :) But, it worked. I definitely think the books improve as the series progresses though. If you do decide to read it again, good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm like Tracy, I started it but put it down for some reason. I think I was going through a 'burnt out phase' with uf/pnr.

    I do still have it on my reader. I do intend to try again.

    I recently did the same with Carrie Vaughn. Finally got round to reading her Kitty Norville series and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you love this series so much. Definitely a favorite of mine, right up there with Mercy Thompson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and my recent conversion has been to Charlaine Harris. I just finished reading the first two books in her Lily Bard mystery series and I can barely wait to get to the library for the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray, Orannia! I'm so happy you've found a UF book you like. :)

    ReplyDelete