08 January 2010

Sarah Monette

As I may have mentioned once or twice (OK, multiple times), Sarah Monette was one of my author discoveries in 2009. The first three books in the Doctrine of Labyrinths completely blew me away and I am eagerly anticipating the time when I can pick up (and devourread) the final book - Corambis. (I just need to write the review for The Mirador first *makes note to hurry up* I should so not make deals with myself, as I am a hard taskmaster!)

I have been informed (thank you Kerry and bookdaze for the heads up!) that Sarah Monette's next book (The Goblin Emperor [working title]) will be published by a new publisher (Tor) under a different name (Katherine Addison). The reason for this is detailed at Sarah Monette's LiveJournal, but suffice to say that the sales figures for the Doctrine of Labyrinths quartet were considered disappointing by Ace...and these figures are irrevocably associated with the Sarah Monette name. Hence, the new name *grin*

So, for those of you who liked Sarah Monette's Doctrine of Labyrinths, look out for a book by Katherine Addison! *makes HUGE note of name*

10 comments:

  1. LOL - everywhere I go she's being mentioned. I can take the hint. Definitely an author I'm going to check out in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LesleyW - IMO she's an amazing author. I just love her Doctrine of Labyrinths series. It's definitely dark fantasy, but the characterization is...WOW! If you do try her books I'd love to know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this out and then I'm reading it again here. I'm so glad Sarah got picked up by another publisher.

    I read the first two books and put the third down when there was an extra POV. I need to wrap my head around that 3rd person before I can read it. But I truly enjoyed the first two books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad Sarah got picked up by another publisher.

    That makes two of us, although I'm guessing there are more like-minded people out there! IMO Sarah Monette is incredibly talented - I'm so glad I will be able to read more of her work!

    I too was worried about the third POV but I found it worked. My review (such as it is :) will be forthcoming if you're interested...and ATM is spoiler free :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heck yeah I'm interested! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watch this space - LOL! Actually, I hope to have the review up by the end of the week *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe it would be better if Ace blamed her supposedly low sales on themselves--as far as I can tell, they didn't do much to help promote her books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...as far as I can tell, they didn't do much to help promote her books.

    Ahhh. Well, maybe the fact that she now has a new publisher, who have bought the same book that Ace turned down (which I find interesting) is a good thing. Seems that they want the book they have bought from Sarah Monette to sell, and they want those readers who read and enjoyed the Doctrine of Labyrinths to connect the dots, which is good IMO :)

    ReplyDelete