30 January 2010

Thoughts on Eclipse (Part I)

This post is inspired by Carolyn Crane's (The Thrillionth Page) 'Great Moments from Last Night's Reading' posts, Kati's (Katidom) post on Bound By Your Touch and Kris' (Kris 'n' Good Books) 'Maybe It's Me' posts!

Caveat: I don't mean any disrespect to either the author or her work, so I apologise in advance if I cause offence - it is not my intention to do so. Also, I will admit to a conflict of interest - a preference (probably not the strongest word I could have chosen, but I'm sticking with it :) for Jacob (versus Edward), but I will attempt (attempt being the operative word mind :) to not let said preference influence my post...
Your Honour, earlier this week I reached the halfway point of Eclipse (Stephanie Meyer), the third book in the Twilight series. Please note that I will be discussing details of a sensitive nature throughout my summation (translation: there will be spoilers for those of you who have avoided the Twilight phenomenon to date).

*deep breath* At the beginning of the book, Edward proves (the prosecution's case without them having to lift a finger) yet again that he is controlling:
I put my hand over his to hold it to his face. "I need to see Jacob'.
His eyes closed. 'No.'
He even went so far as to engage his sister (Alice) to 'kidnap' Bella to ensure that she did not visit Jacob. I will stipulate, however, that Bella has attempted to stand up for what she wants...to a point.

Further on, we reach a point of what can only be described as a moment of utter madness (which had me so riled when I read that that it was amazing I was coherent! Picture the scene if you will: Jacob expresses to Bella how he truly feels about her and then:
His lips crushed mine, stopping my protest. He kissed me angrily, roughly, his other hand gripping tight around the back of my neck, making escape impossible. I shoved against his chest with all my strength, but he didn't even seem to notice.
In all honesty it reads more like an assault than a kiss! No, I am not stipulating anything *glares at opposition counsel* This action is not characteristic of Jacob at all IMHO. Your honour, I submit that outside influence was imposed... Because why, if Stephenie Meyer (the author) had decided from the beginning that Bella would be with Edward, was the love triangle pursued? It is completely unnecessary. What is worse is that the implementation of said 'plot twist' requires Jacob to act out of character. I submit Evidence A (a line in New Moon, one that was screened in the trailer IMO):
I know what he did to you but Bella, I want you to know I will never hurt you.
Furthermore, it is common sense that if Jacob was meant to imprint on Bella then he would have done so already, ergo...why pursue Bella if it is not meant to be unless because of said outside influence? It is a conspiracy... (Well, OK, I might be going slightly off the deep end with that suggestion.) *gets off soap box*
So, for those of you who have read Eclipse - should I be worrying about the second half of the book?

15 comments:

  1. Best not to share my thoughts on the Twilight books then. :)

    But here: best movie review EVAH. Scroll past all teh words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - that was a brilliant movie review of New Moon! Thank you! And feel free to share away..or not :) My post was meant to be mostly tongue in cheek... *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack! Blogger ate my comment.

    *mope*

    Ok. Discovering that SM is Mormon really helped a lot of things that bothered me about the series click into place, such as Bella's utter passivity. And it sickens and creeps me out that Edward, the ultimate stalker boyfriend, is idolized by so many teen girls.

    But what do you REALLY think, Chris? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - LOL! My best guess is Blogger was hungry :) Thank you for the link - am off to read it now. I agree, Bella is very passive. I do like that she is fighting (kind of) to see Jacob...although she's not really standing up for what she wants but sneaking out to get it, which she shouldn't have to do IMO. Why can't she see her friend? I have HUGE issues with Edward's controlling nature. Reminds me of stuff I'm still trying to work through. And yes, it is concerning that Edward is idolized... Plus (if you read my movie review of New Moon this will make more sense) I see the Cullens as cold and the werewolves as warm, and I know who I'd rather be with if I had the choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes sense to me. :)

    Hee hee - my veri word is "mangwher", which takes my brain in so many directions that I don't even know where to start. Manga/man/were/whore/etc!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Srsly, what you should be worrying about is Breaking Dawn. The whole book (especially Jacob's part in it) is one big WTF. Though, that being said, my favorite part of it is getting his pov.

    And, speaking of kisses, there's a later scene that's even crazier. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

    I always thought that Jacob was her chance at a healthy relationship. When she's with him, she's happy. When she's with Edward, she's miserable.

    Yet, I must admit however, I listened to these audiobooks compulsively. They were total crack for me. (At least until Breaking Dawn.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renee - I'm honestly not sure if I want to read Breaking Dawn (BD). I discovered book blogs about the time BD was released and I read the WTF comments without really understanding. Now I kind of do and I'm not sure. I would love to read Jacob's POV though!

    There's more kissing between Jacob and Bella in Eclipse? *speechless* What was Stephenie Meyer thinking. And I agree...Jacob is her chance at a healthy relationship. Yes I believe in souls mates and yes I would like to find mine, but I don't want that relationship to consume me utterly...to be all that is me. That's...not unhealthy IMO.

    And you're right...I never clicked but when Bella is with Jacob she is happy, because she is accepted for who she is and she knows that. With (or thinking of) Edward, regardless of what he says, she never feels good enough. I think like that and I'm working on not thinking it. Because...because I don't think she can have a functional relationship with such a big power discrepancy... This series is definitely making me think *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, it's funny, cause you just reminded me that when I read this one, it made me think about a core belief I have about relationships--and how with Edward, Bella is making the absolute wrong choice.
    What it is, is this: that while we shouldn't be with someone to be different than who we are, a good relationship should sort of serve like a magnifier to our lives, helping the good things already inside of us be more--not diminishing us and what we are.
    There's all that sun/heat/warmth imagery for Jacob and cold/night imagery with Edward--and Bella always seems to need the warmth (esp in New Moon) but unfortunately, we know how that ends.

    Yes, I don't want to spoil it, but there are a few sort of crazy (both good and wtf) scenes toward the end. In the tent and right after--not to give too much away. I'd recommend finishing the book for those parts alone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right - a good relationship should...allow us to grow and reach our potential; it shouldn't diminish us...or keep us caged. Something Kristen Stewart said springs to mind. She said with Jacob, Bella could be exactly who she was, but with Edward, Bella wanted to be more, be better. And that sort of struck me as wrong.

    And yes - the imagery is really strong, and I think the director translated it well in New Moon (the movie). Jacob is warm and Edward is cold - Bella keeps referring to both of them that way. Which is why, with Bella needing warmth, I just don't get her chosing Edward. It's like...somewhere something went wrong.

    I was raised in a cold family. And it's left its mark. But all I could think of when reading/watching New Moon was that I wanted the warmth of the werewolves, not the stark cold of the Cullens. Not sure how I'd cope with all that warmth, but I'm working on coping so I'll be ready :)

    I will keep reading *grin* but thank you for the warning. I knew I called this post Part I for a reason :)

    BTW, am loving this in-depth discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Renee that you should keep reading. Some of the scenes between the three characters towards the end of the book are great.

    I'm also firmly in the 'why the hell did she choose the self-destructive relationship' camp. It makes me wonder what was really going on in the head of SM for her to have created something that on the surface is bright and sparkly 'love of your life' stuff, but underneath is obsessive, dark and unhealthy.

    As for Breaking Dawn... http://tiny.cc/O5i9V

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kris - Just about to head to bed and pull the book out :) I promise I'll keep reading. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the book. It's just...I really felt that first kiss between Jacob & Bella was so uncharacteristic of Jacob. And I'm still hanging out for the tent menage scene you and KB teased me about *grin*

    Yes, Bella & Edward's relationship does seem, as she said, obsessive, dark and unhealthy. But..if their relationship is like that, and Jacob is, as Bella says, warm...and she obviously so craves that warmth...why did the book go the direction it did?

    Oh, and I love the photo! Perfect. Right - off to read...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh deary me.

    Basically, you're absolutely right in the if-Meyers-decided-Eward-would-be-The-One-what-is-the-point-of-the-love-triangle thing. There IS no point, except to generate teenage angst and a plot for three more books.

    Edward is controlling, but I think the reason he's controlling are, not justifiable, but understandable. But don't worry, he sees the error of his ways.

    Off to read part II!

    ReplyDelete