I realized last month that it's all very well to instigate a book challenge, specifically The 2010 Big Book Challenge, but...follow-up is required! So, to recap, the challenge rules are simple:
1) Read a big book, and by a big book I mean a book with more than 500 pages, before the end of 2010.
2) A review is not required (although I'm going to attempt a post detailing my thoughts on the book, or the reasons why I didn't finish it *grin*).
3) The big book can be from any fiction genre (e.g. fantasy, romance, science fiction). It can even be non-fiction.
4) No penalties if the book isn't read by the end of 2010 (because this is meant to be fun).
5) The book can be changed at any time! (Flexibility is important IMO :)
6) You can join at any time throughout the year!
To date, the participants (Title [Author]) are as follows:
- orannia (Kushiel's Dart [Jacqueline Carey]; Eclipse [Stephanie Meyer]; Lover Mine [JR Ward])
- Kerry (Ship of Destiny [Robin Hobb]; Mirror Dance [Lois McMaster Bujold]; The Ask and the Answer [Patrick Ness]; Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale [Russell T Davies & Benjamin Book]; This Alien Shore [CS Friedman]; Prophecy: Child of Earth [Elizabeth Haydon])
- Kristen (Kushiel's Chosen [Jacqueline Carey])
- Mariana (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows [JK Rowling])
- Heidenkind (TBC)
- Carolyn Crane (Dune [Frank Herbert])
- Hilcia (Naamah's Kiss [Jacqueline Carey])
- Kris (The Name of the Wind [Patrick Rothfuss])
- Renee (TBC)
- Christine (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows [JK Rowling])
- Leslie (Outlander [Diana Gabaldon])
- starfirenz (The Fiery Cross [Diana Gabaldon] or Kushiel's Scion [Jacqueline Carey]; Drums of Autumn [Diana Gabaldon]; The Hidden City [Michelle West]; The Killing Floor [Lee Child])
- sausconys-books (A Plague of Angels [Sheri S Tepper])
- Ag (Lord of the Rings [JRR Tolkein])
- Chris (Lover Mine [JR Ward])
And in case you're wondering how my system works, the nominated book for each participant is in italics. However, just because you may not have read your nominated book does not mean that you have yet to complete the challenge. Any book over 500 pages will qualify, so speak and you will be heard. (In other words, tell me what books over 500 pages you've read and I'll add them to the list [e.g. I read Eclipse earlier this year, which is why it appears in the list].) For those of you with TBC beside your name, have you picked your big book yet? And for those of you who have yet to join...what can I do to tempt you?