11 May 2010

The 2010 Big Book Challenge: Update

I realized last month that it's all very well to instigate a book challenge, specifically The 2010 Big Book Challenge, but...follow-up is required! So, to recap, the challenge rules are simple:

1) Read a big book, and by a big book I mean a book with more than 500 pages, before the end of 2010.

2) A review is not required (although I'm going to attempt a post detailing my thoughts on the book, or the reasons why I didn't finish it *grin*).

3) The big book can be from any fiction genre (e.g. fantasy, romance, science fiction). It can even be non-fiction.

4) No penalties if the book isn't read by the end of 2010 (because this is meant to be fun).

5) The book can be changed at any time! (Flexibility is important IMO :)

6) You can join at any time throughout the year!

To date, the participants (Title [Author]) are as follows:
- orannia (Kushiel's Dart [Jacqueline Carey]; Eclipse [Stephanie Meyer]; Lover Mine [JR Ward])
- Kerry (Ship of Destiny [Robin Hobb]; Mirror Dance [Lois McMaster Bujold]; The Ask and the Answer [Patrick Ness]; Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale [Russell T Davies & Benjamin Book]; This Alien Shore [CS Friedman]; Prophecy: Child of Earth [Elizabeth Haydon])
- Kristen (Kushiel's Chosen [Jacqueline Carey])
- Mariana (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows [JK Rowling])
- Heidenkind (TBC)
- Carolyn Crane (Dune [Frank Herbert])
- Hilcia (Naamah's Kiss [Jacqueline Carey])
- Kris (The Name of the Wind [Patrick Rothfuss])
- Renee (TBC)
- Christine (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows [JK Rowling])
- Leslie (Outlander [Diana Gabaldon])
- starfirenz (The Fiery Cross [Diana Gabaldon] or Kushiel's Scion [Jacqueline Carey]; Drums of Autumn [Diana Gabaldon]; The Hidden City [Michelle West]; The Killing Floor [Lee Child])
- sausconys-books (A Plague of Angels [Sheri S Tepper])
- Ag (Lord of the Rings [JRR Tolkein])
- Chris (Lover Mine [JR Ward])

And in case you're wondering how my system works, the nominated book for each participant is in italics. However, just because you may not have read your nominated book does not mean that you have yet to complete the challenge. Any book over 500 pages will qualify, so speak and you will be heard. (In other words, tell me what books over 500 pages you've read and I'll add them to the list [e.g. I read Eclipse earlier this year, which is why it appears in the list].) For those of you with TBC beside your name, have you picked your big book yet? And for those of you who have yet to join...what can I do to tempt you?

12 comments:

  1. I know myself too well. If I were to join, I'd never read anything longer than 100 pages again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! No, really? I figured this challenge was a way to final tackle Kushiel's Dart. I've heard so many amazing things about the series, but the size of it scares me silly. Hence the challenge *grin* Actually I'm reading a 'big book' now - Lover Mine is 512 pages! And I have exactly 2 weeks before I need to return it to the library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Love Mine on Saturday! It was SO MUCH BETTER than the last several books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I haven't got anywhere near "Ship of Destiny", but I have read five books of over 500 pages this year:

    Mirror Dance - Lois McMaster Bujold (592pp)

    The Ask and the Answer - Patrick Ness (519 pp)

    Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale - Russell T. Davies and Benjamin Book (512pp)

    This Alien Shore - C. S. Friedman (576pp)

    Prophecy: Child of Earth - Elizabeth Haydon (736pp)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, let's see... I have The Archer's Heart by Astrid Amara at 651 pages and The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova at 642 on my TBR. If I read either one of those books this year, I'll add them to my list! Plus, I'll probably get Naamah's Curse by Carey, if I read my first pick too -- I'm sure that's going to be another door-stopper. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read a book that long in forever. Well, I've read JR Ward's book and some of those are damned long. I read the Twilight series a couple of years ago (or whenever it came out) and of course Anne Bishop's Omnibus edition of the Black Jewel Trilogy which was fabulous. I don't gravitate toward the long books. Am I too intimidated by them? Do I need therapy? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read a single book over 500 pages this year (not including the Miles Errant omnibus which had 2 books and a novella so it doesn't really count), although some have been close. The one I'm reading right now is about 600 pages, though. I'd like to try to read The Summer Queen this year, too, which is massive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris - Lover Mine is over 500 pages and thus counts as a 'big book'. Would you like me to add you to the list of participants, since you've already completed the challenge without knowing it?

    Kerry - WOW! *very impressed* I'll add them to the list!

    Hilcia - I'll be reading The Archer's Heart this year. Maybe we should try for a tag-team review?

    Tracy - such books are scary, aren't they? No, I don't think you need therapy - I think you're sensible :) And I'm really beginning to worry about the size of the BDB books - they keep getting bigger!

    Kristen - you can use the one you're reading right now to qualify. Very flexible rules with this challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummm... do I count as an overachiever with respect to the Challenge? So far I've read Drums of Autumn (~1200 pages), The Hidden City (754 pages) and The Killing Floor (Jack Reacher Bk 1 - 522 pages) - and I'm about halfway through re-reading The Shining Court (737 pages). And I haven't got anywhere NEAR Kushiel's Scion yet...

    ReplyDelete
  10. *blink blink*

    Well, I guess so. That's how I do challenges best, anyway - retroactively. :D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Starfire/Chris - added! And congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got an update. : )

    I have read a total of four "big books" since January 1, 2010.

    BEAUTIFUL CREATURES by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
    LOVER AVENGED by J.R. Ward
    LOVE MINE by J.R. Ward

    and...... drum roll please....

    My chosen Big Book ....

    HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS by J.K. Rowling

    Party at my house, people! LOL! ^_^

    ReplyDelete