20 June 2010

Fail

As you may already know, I've been detailing my progress with my healthy eating plan. Well, on Friday I went to see the nutritionist and I've...gone backwards! I've put on weight. 1.7 kg to be precise. (And that 1.7 kg has manifested itself as a 3 cm increase in my abdominal measurement [my GIT obviously isn't happy about my diet ATM] and a 1 cm increase in my waist measurement; there was no change in my hip measurement.) So, instead of reaching my target weight of 57.5 kg, I now have 1.8 kg still to lose. FAIL!

I'm not actually surprised by the result. It's winter and I'm cold (my house is cold and damp) plus I've been impersonating a headless chicken again and getting nowhere with any of my long-term chores...which has led to frustration... You get the picture, yes? I eat when I'm stressed, and I don't eat healthily. Coca Cola is my crutch, and of late it's been a two cans a day habit. I'm attempting to cut back to one a day starting today (and today I succeeded), so apologies in advance for being grumpy. Plus, the short days, wet weather and a sore tooth (believe me - anything faster than a walk with a sore tooth is h*l l)...yes, and apathy for going outside in such weather...have kept me from my usual exercise regimen.

On the positive side (my maternal grandmother always told me to look for the silver lining...although that wasn't her favourite saying :) I'm still below the 60 kg upper limit I set myself. And...it's the shortest day today (and the longest night tonight). Which means, slowly but surely, the days will be getting longer again. I still have at least 2 months of winter to look forward too, but...it's not so bad when you know the days are getting longer and the march to spring has begun! (Although those of you in the Northern Hemisphere do have my empathy.) Plus, I love lying in bed listening to the rain and New Zealand drew with Italy at the Football World Cup. Who'd have thought?

I see the nutritionist again in a month - the aim is maintenance. So, in amongst all that life has to offer, do you have a silver lining?

16 comments:

  1. There's always your health! Not to mock you, but that's pretty important, and the fact you're seeing someone about being healthy is a good thing.

    And though it's winter, just think of staying indoors and reading all those cozy books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very good attitude/outlook. Silver linings are a good thing ;)

    We are slowly marching towards darker, shorter days. I need to somehow push my sunshine way over to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the silver lining here is that you can identify what caused you to put on weight. There's nothing worse than putting on weight when you haven't done anything different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hating some of the policies at my current job, but there's a good chance I'll have a second income lined up in a few weeks/couple of months that should make up for that.

    And allow me to tell you, as someone who has almost ten kilos on you and is 5'2" on a good day, that you are my model. I will shed these *shaking fist at carbohydrates in my diet*






    [The trick that allowed me to stop all soda consumption: stopped buying it. It's not in the house, it's more difficult to indulge--particularly when my frugality did the math (buying can at retail vs buying at grocery store)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the new aim, orannia! Losing weight is a great achievement imo so you have every right to be proud. :D
    We had our longest day on this side of the globe and we're heading towards autumn, but I intend to enjoy summer first! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacy - thank you! That's a very good point. And I did feel after posting that I was being...rather picky (and spent most of last night thinking I should delete said post because it was...what is was). I must confess that when it comes to me I am incredibly picky. And yes, there is nothing like reading by the fire when it's cold and wet outside!

    Mandi - I like silver linings :) Very Pollyanna of me. And thank you, but you hold on to that sunshine as long as you can and enjoy it! It will make it's way down here soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meredith - I so hear you on that. It will be interesting to see how the next month goes. I'm dying for a can of Coca Cola right now, and it's early! Didn't sleep well last night. Hope all is well with you?

    azteclady - thank you :) I don't think I've been anyone's model before. Unfortunately, Coca Cola is my one vice. Well, I'm sure I have others, but hopefully nothing as overt *grin* I just like the taste :)

    Janna - thank you! I know I have done it before, just recently, so...I need to keep focusing :) And yes, enjoy that sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winter is the worst time for diet and exercise! You can do it!! Go go go go go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're still my hero too! At least you're fighting the good fight; me not so much :( You'll do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris - definitely. Cold weather --> carbohydrate ingestion! And I sucumbed today...what is a gal to do when free fish & chips is offered? And then I had to wash it down with Coca Cola. I'm back on the horse again now though, and tomorrow is new day (how Pollyanna of me :) You're a very good cheerleader BTW *grin*

    Mariana - thank you. I'm going to reach the goal...I refuse to quit, especially since I was so close! Must focus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always want to watch what I eat and lose weight in the winter and it never works for me so I feel your pain. Of course I never want to do it in the summer either so there ya go! lol

    Good for you for taking the steps to be healthy. You'll do it eventually, don't worry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tracy - I'm convinced the human body isn't really designed to lose weight in winter. It wants to stay warm! I started the healthy eating plan last August, but...that was the end of winter. And thank you. I hope I make it. I got close (0.1 kg) so...I think it's possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go go go Orannia!
    You're building up to a weight loss. You're doing great things to protect your health. I'm with Stacy! Also, did you know muscle weighs more than fat? So, you could be better off than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My silver lining is in a month, this job will end. *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carolyn - thank you! And yes, I did know about the muscle vs fat weight, but...I haven't been lifting any weight so unfortunately I don't think it's that :( But, I've done it (almost) once, so I can darn well do it again ! *grin*

    heidenkind - *gobsmacked* Really? This is the incredibly stressful job, yes? This is a good thing? (Sorry, I'm not quite sure so wanted to check.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have done really well to get so close to your target weight. Don't let this little setback get you down. Especially since you're in the dead of winter right now, making you want to hunker down under the covers and not be outside exercising. You'll bounce back and shake those 1.8 kgs right off!

    ReplyDelete