16 June 2010

Precious

I think this post is going to cement my complete and utter weirdness, but... *shrug*

In a recent post (This And That) I mentioned that I had been lucky enough to win second prize in the Trapped In A Restaurant Meme hosted by the lovely and very talented author of Mind Games - Carolyn Crane of The Thrillonth Page! Thanks to the very generous Carolyn, I was able to go shopping at Amazon! And one of the books I bought was Melissa Marr's Fragile Eternity. Yes, I am a huge fan of this author/series, but no, I am not currently up-to-date with the series *embarrassed*
 
Anyway, the book arriving got me to thinking...perhaps I should ignore my carefully constructed TBR list and read it right now. (I should explain - this book is also on my library hold list, but...all the copies are out ATM and I was feeling impatient. It's the...'I sees it so I wants it' rather than the 'out of sight, out of mind' dilemma.) But, could I pick up and read my copy? That would be a negative! Why? Well, it's so...pristine that I didn't want to...ruin (for want of a better word :) it by...ummm...reading it. And this is me I'm talking about, the OCD (please be careful with the book) person. So, I've decided to wait for the library copy. But, all of this got me to thinking. Am I the only person who buys a book but then doesn't want to read it for fear of damaging it in any way, shape or form. Do you buy a book and then borrow it from the library...or buy two copies, one to keep and one to read? Or is it just me...

11 comments:

  1. lol I feel that way for about a minute and a half and then crack that puppy open. I'm too interested in what's on the inside to worry about the outside, that's for sure. But I'm a spine cracker too - which horrifies some people, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, just you ;D
    A carefully constructed TBR list?! What's that? Have never seen one, LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy - I desperately want to read it, but I get all wound up about the thought of damaging the book in some way. I hate dog ears! You're a spine cracker? *horrified* *grin*

    Kris - really? *blinks* Just me? *thinks* Maybe I'm too precious about my books...

    Janna - LOL! WRT the carefully constructed TBR list...I have OCD tendancies, what can I say? (Although ATM it's a bit messy, but my garden is messier and so it getting more attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget that I'm the girl that openly admitted that she read on the toilet so I'm probably not the best person to judge. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris - really? I must have missed that admission. Shame! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just you. ;)

    Actually, you can't tell I've actually read most of the books that I purchased new and read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Chris *grin* Ahhh, you're an extra careful reader then? I'm like that too, but...maybe it's because this book is a hardback, but...I just can't bring myself to pick it up. *heads desk*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huh.

    No, I don't--but then I'm a careful reader and while my books don't remain pristine forever, I keep them in good shape through many re-reads.

    Which is really good, since I many of my keepers started life chez aztec as UBS purchases--and often the previous owners weren't very careful with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. azteclady - *waves* I thought this might just be a 'me' question :) I think I'm just scared I'll damage it - and then I'll get mad at myself about it. And Chez Aztec - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um. It's just you.

    Interestingly, I am very careful with books once they're mine whether brand new or used. For example, I don't mind getting a hand me down book that's a bit beaten up, but take good care of it nonetheless once it belongs to me. Kind of like getting the worse for the wear dog or cat from the shelter... no matter what her or she has been through to get there... once it's mine, it's cherished. Aww.

    ReplyDelete