18 August 2010

Hands Up

Hands up who has stayed awake way past when they should have to read just one more chapter?

Hands up who has tried to squeeze in reading just read one more paragraph while in the middle of doing something else (e.g. walking)?

Hands up who has become so invested in characters that their heart pounds and their hands sweat?

Hands up who has become so angry at the actions of a character in a book (whether the hero, heroine, villain or a secondary character) that they have wanted to jump into the book and rip, tear, shred and rend? (Yes, I'm channelling the basilisk from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.) *looks sideways* Or perhaps just give someone a few home truths?

Hands up who has started talking to their book, perhaps uttering the immortal phrase 'I can't believe you just said/did that'? And perhaps while muttering has been given a strange look by a passerby (please refer to the second point)?

Hands up who has become so invested in a book that you were dying to finish it while at the same time dreading its end?

Have I missed anything?

I felt that way about Keeping Promise Rock (Amy Lane) earlier this year. And I'm feeling that way about The Curse of the Mistwraith (Janny Wurts). *pauses* Come to think of it, I don't think I wanted to rip anyone apart in Keeping Promise Rock...oh, actually I did (the stepfather). The ripping and tearing I want to do to certain characters in The Curse of the Mistwraith has to do with what happens to the clan women and children in the last two chapters. Yes, with my bare hands. I don't remember feeling this much rage when I first read the book, so obviously 'The Wall' has chinks... The jury is still out on whether this is a good thing or not.

What books have driven you to any (or all :) of the above?

14 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you, off the top of my head, the book or books, but I can tell you that I've done all of these--more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto azteclady, I've done all of the above. It's great when you get so wrapped up in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. azteclady - so, hands up then? *grin* Glad it's not just me :)

    Mariana - I agree. It's stressful, but...I wouldn't change it. I guess it's a good thing for a book to elicit a response...although I guess what the response is tells you whether the book is good or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I frequently have to take fluff breaks in the middle of particularly intense books and read something light that I know won't engage my emotions in the same way. I get very anxious while reading very good, yet angsty books, such as Keeping Promise Rock, A Red-Tainted Silence, and Special Delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *raises hand* I have, but can't for the life of me think of one during which I have done this recently. Brain = sieve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This doesn't happen to me that often, Broken Wing and The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie are the most recent I can think of. But I love that feeling of being so totally immersed in a book that you completely forget where you are. I raised my hand to all of your questions

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hand is up, orannia. Up all night, with dark circles under my eyes... cursing at the characters, but unable to let go or put the book away. Yeap, I understand. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris - fluff breaks are a great idea IMHO. And I'm tempted to look up A Red-Tainted Silence and Special Delivery...

    Kris - I've been having a lot of brain = sieve days of late. It's worse when you want to think of something and your brain immediately files it in the smallest most darkest corner imaginable, where you won't find it until 3 AM!

    Kristie - *grin* I love that fully immersed feeling too!

    Hilcia - YAH! I forgot cursing at characters.. *raises hand*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet you will like Special Delivery. There's some kink! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't remember all the books that made me do this, but I do know I've done them all. I was laughing at my book in Panera today and I think everyone thought I was wacky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris - is Special Delivery by Heidi Cullinan? (Just checking as there are a few entries on Fictionwise.) I'm kind of hoping it is as the excerpt was....good *grin*

    heidenkind - it's good to laugh at books...and sometimes people thinking you are wacky is OK :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! By Heidi. :) Who actually lives in Iowa (just south of Minnesota), so I might actually meet her some time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've done all those things... plus have laughed out loud. Those moments are fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris - thank you! It's on my TBR list. I need to read faster :)

    Christine - YAH! Actually, sometimes I like laughing out loud, because when someone looks at me weirdly I usually apologise and explain why...and pimp the book :)

    ReplyDelete