28 September 2010

Random Thoughts

Caveat: I don't mean any disrespect to anyone with the following post, so I apologise in advance if I cause offence - it is not my intention to do so.

All these thoughts have been whizzing through my head this week. In no particular order:

* You know when you try to hunt for something you really need and you start to work yourself into a completely tizz trying to find it? It's only after you've found it that you realize that you had previously laid your hands on said missing object (that not found would lead to the end of the known world) during the hunt, but you were so worked up you didn't see it!

* I was thinking about the US military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy on the drive home yesterday. (I heard the word uniform while listening to a CD that the lovely Chris from Stumbling Over Chaos sent me [thank you Chris!] and my mind wandered :) According to Wikipedia:
Unless one of the exceptions from 10 U.S.C. § 654 applies, the policy prohibits anyone who "demonstrate(s) a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts" from serving in the armed forces of the United States, because "it would create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline, and unit cohesion that are the essence of military capability."
And that got me to thinking (not about the policy itself, because I have a very strong opinion on that) about whether the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy is applied to other occupations (e.g. fire, paramedics, police) in the US? Because...don't all of those positions require high standards of 'morale, good order and discipline, and unit cohesion'? And don't those who serve in the fire and police departments and as paramedics regularly put their lives in the hands of their colleagues? So...what's the difference?

* Sometimes, when you're as flat as a pancake, having a puddy tat on your lap (especially when said puddy tat isn't a lap cap at all) makes a huge difference.

* I'm sure somewhere there is a math equation that explains why, when your holiday is fast approaching, time s l o w s!

So, what's been on your mind this week?

4 comments:

  1. That equation about holidays also includes two sub-equations. Time will rapidly speed up again should there be things you have to complete before going on holiday, allowing you to panic about getting them done. It will also speed up again the moment your holiday starts, meaning it never seems to last nearly long enough. :)

    How's Warhost going? I'm trying to finish Son of the Shadows first because I don't think I can cope with two major fantasties at once, but that means I'm going to be behind starting Warhost, so I'm feeling a bit stressed right now on the book front. Especially since I'm so tired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for some people, Don't Ask, Don't Tell is a way of life. Seriously.

    I've thinking about the art market, how much I hate my neighbors, and how bored I am! I should get another job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're enjoying the cd! :)

    DADT... *sigh* Yeah, you'd definitely think that the same things applied to the other occupations you mentioned. *sigh*

    Um. Not thinking much at all - I'm in a bit of a post-migraine brain fuzz right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry - you are so right WRT the subequations! Remember my plan not to do anything on my holiday? Well, it's falling apart. Am trying to aim for four days of nothing... And Warhost is going...slowly. It's completely me. And I completely know what you mean about reading two fantasy novels at the same time. Two complicated books...not good, especially when you're tired. Am thinking of reading breaks...

    heidenkind - oh dear :( So sorry to hear your neighbours and job are driving you up the wall. I do hope things start looking up!

    Chris - definitely! Thank you so much! *hugs* And the DADT...ludicrous! Sorry to hear about the migraine - hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete