26 July 2011

Just Add Noodles

Caveat: I don't mean any disrespect to authors or readers, so I apologise in advance if I cause offence - it is not my intention to do so.

Whether reading m/f or m/m (or any variation thereof), the trope of instant love or 'insta-love' invariably makes an appearance. I'm not sure exactly how one would define insta-love, but I suppose one could view it as the 'just add noodles' of the romance novel *grin*

At the end of last week I finished reading a paranormal romance that used just this trope. TBH I'm not a fan of it - the trope that is, not the book :) I like any relationship between characters to develop slowly, so I can see the...why of their relationship (if that makes sense). I discussed my thoughts with the lovely Kerry from Too Many Books and loved her response so much I asked her if I could post it here - thank you Kerry!
I think that part of the problem is fitting the actual plot and the romance into the same time frame. Often the first needs to happen rather quickly, the latter more slowly. So one gets slowed down and the other gets sped up so they both end at the same time.
Now, to be fair, as much as I love that explanation, it isn't always the case. So it is then up to the author to convince the reader (and I need a lot of convincing) that there is more to the relationship that just...noodles :)

So, what are your thoughts on insta-love?

4 comments:

  1. I'm imagining that's a Thai green curry with noodles. Yum. :D

    Not a fan of insta-love. I can definitely think of cases where Kerry's explanation really fits. And I can excuse insta-love in some paranormals, although the "fated mate" thing can get old fast in a series. Sometimes I think the author's just being lazy or taking the easy way out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. IIRC it was ramen noodles, and definitely YUM! Luckily I'm having noodles for dinner tonight :)

    And yup, I can excuse it in some cases too. I can't put my finger on why exactly... I think 'fated mates' can work if, while the bond is there, the relationship is not all sunshine and roses, but instead takes work. I guess I need to see the work, either before or after the instant connection, if that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a test to see if I can now comment with the new settings.

    Those noodles made me very hungry earlier in the day, but now that I've had my dinner, it isn't quite so urgent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAH the new settings work! Will make a note of that in my next post so everyone knows :)

    ReplyDelete