22 August 2011

The Big Chill

It's been cold here of late. Very cold. (And by that I mean overnight temperatures of 2 degrees Celsius [~35 degrees Fahrenheit], which probably doesn't sound cold to most of you, but it is for Auckland, which has a temperate [oceanic] climate.) So cold that I've been shutting off part of the house (the part with my computer) and curling up in front of the fire.

This...hiding (for want of a better word) has been in response to a number of things: movements on the privacy issue I eluded to in the post entitled Learning By Degrees (I'm not over it, not by a long shot, and it's colouring so much); interactions with family (what a surprise); and work. I hate feeling out of control. So overwhelmed by life... I was thinking the best analogy was that of an out of control bus, but...it's more like constant noise. When all I want is just some quiet so my brain can stop...whirring. I'm sorry I've been...absent. I have missed you all, but I just needed to...sit. Not sure how much sitting I'll need - this morning has left me all wound up so tight I can hardly breathe - but I will try to be online a little more often :)

On a completely different note, tomorrow night I am going to learn how to graft fruit trees. Yes, you heard it hear first!

So, what weird and wacky things have you learnt to do?

6 comments:

  1. 35 degs isn't cold! Why, that's practically balmy. ;)

    I think you need a vacation. I haven't learned to do anything since I made a souffle. =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I was waiting for some one to say that such temperatures were almost balmy *grin*

    A vacation...hmmm. That sounds like a good idea. I haven't had any time off since Easter...

    Oh, you've read The Vampire Diaries books. Good? Am becoming completely hooked on the TV series....Damon is... *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many Minnesotans are still wearing shorts at 35F, albeit with sweatshirts and gloves... I am not one of them! But in the spring, when 35F really does seem warm (after -20F), I tend to wear a light jacket and gloves...

    I was wondering why you were so quiet and wasn't sure if dropping you a line would be helpful or stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shorts at 35F? *shivers in sympathy*

    Thank you for thinking of me :) *hugs* Just feeling overwhelmed with everything and...took some time out. I probabably do need a vacation...and to learn how to not overreact to, well, everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, -2 sounds good right about now, especially with a fire!

    Yes, I'm a crazy canadian. LOL But it's been in the +30s here lately and I hate it! :P

    It's important to take time for yourself. Don't apologize for doing so.

    Grafting trees sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ames - LOL! It's been a little warmer this week, thank goodness! And thank you! I so need to learn to stop stressing and learn to relax or I will wind myself up!

    Unfortunately, a day-long headache meant I didn't get to the grafting session, but I'm going next month! Will so have to write a post about it :)

    ReplyDelete