04 January 2013

Vent

Note: I should probably have subtitled this post 'Rant', because that is probably what it will end up being. (No probably about it *grin*) And yes I should be posting about my reading year, but... *waves hands in no recognizable way whatsoever* this is my blog and I'll whine if I want too *grin* FYI - it's a general whine and not directed towards anyone or any site in particular :)

So...book releases. I always get really excited when I know a book I am craving is being released. And I race off to ARe with glee only to realize that the book isn't there *sad* Because for some reason an increasing number of eBooks seem to be released in what I can only describe as a 'limited fashion, and by limited I mean at the publisher's site. Oh, and at Amazon, which for some reason seems to be the exception to the rule. The print book equivalent would be to only sell from one chain of stores...or even from only one branch of one chain. Except it wouldn't happen. Can you imagine if Bloomsbury had done that with the last Harry Potter book? Or how about Little, Brown and Company with the last Twilight book? There would have been riots! So...why does it happen for eBooks? I'm sure there are valid reasons, but...the bottom line is I'm lazy. I don't want to have accounts with numerous publishers - I want to buy my books at one place. And at present that's ARe. Plus that big holiday thing *waves hand in air again* has just been. And because my friends know that one of few ways I can stop my brain from spinning off into anxiety central 24/7 is by reading they very kindly gave me ARe vouchers for...it. So...I have vouchers to spend. So...why would I want to spend money, which has be earmarked for other (house-like) things, on books when I have vouchers? And if it was just a few days then I'd probably be OK with that (although yes I will admit there would be some wailing and gnashing of teeth, but I'm only human), but last year I waited a month for a particular book to end up at ARe and I couldn't decide whether it was the publisher or ARe (or both) that had resulted in the delay. (I did consider [for a couple of seconds] whether it might have been the author, but then figured the author would just like their book available for purchase where possible.) I was lucky enough to complete an ARe survey last year and pointed out that my biggest issue was the delay, but I still don't know why there is a delay. So... *grump*

And then we come to anticipated publication dates. I get that most of the authors whose books I purchase are based in North America or Europe. And up there the seasons are upside down - LOL! But...I think I'd prefer then to use quarters when referring to the anticipated publication of their books rather than the seasons. Because...and yes I know the majority of their readers are in North American and Europe, but...it's a small world now and if they mention a release in say...fall 2013, then I have to first work out that fall means autumn and then work out what months that equates to (I usually have no idea - it differs depending on the country) to actually relate it to me. 'Cause seriously, when y'all freezing up there in winter and complaining about the snow I'm sitting in shorts and a t-shirt complaining about the humidity! So seasons are pointless! (FYI - I watched some college football [American Football] on that holiday I mentioned in said short and t-shirt and was amused to see it was snowing :) The world is so small and yet so big :) Anyway...this is one vote for quarters...or a range versus seasons :) Just sayin'!

OK, rant/vent...over. I know it's not all about me, but...it felt good to get that off my chest! So, what has you almost boiling over ATM?

13 comments:

  1. LOL I never thought about the reversal of seasons being confusing, but I will keep it in mind for the future. :) I went into a rage the other day because I literally spent three days trying to get a book I downloaded to the point where I could read it on my eReader. Thanks, effing DRM! Then when I finally did get it on there, it was formatted so badly I couldn't read it anyway. HULKSMASH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I don't mind about the seasons bit, but just ATM it's driving me nuts :) As for DRM! GRRR! I'm too scared to even try converting - hulksmash is a perfect description :) Oh, and that reminds me - eBooks that aren't in all formats. Seriously, why?

      Delete
  2. Yes DRM drives me nuts too. I have several .prc books which I can't read on my kindle app because I bought them when I had my Cybook reader & the DRM won't let me. It's a huge faff to convert & hub has to do it for me.

    The lag in books arriving at ARe is because pubs want exclusivity in the first few weeks. They say it's to give their authors the best chance at full royalties - royalties are lower if the book sells through a vendor like ARe. I can see how it's annoying for you. I'd take the opportunity to buy some older titles :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DRM drives me nuts. I read exclusively on my iPhone as that is all that was available here when I went looking for some way to read eBooks. It took another year for the Kindle and Sony eReader to make it here, but I can't buy a Kindle as I wouldn't be able to convert my library without a lot of time and frustration...and swearing :)

      Ah, I thought it was a royalty thing. I'm useless - people tell me things and then I forgot them :( (Brain like a sieve.) I'm guessing there is quite a difference royalty wise between direct from the publisher and at a vendor? If money wasn't an issue then I'd like to be more supportive of authors, but, unfortunately, it is :( I do like the idea of purchasing older titles - I have quite a few in my wish list *grin* I'll just suck it up and wait until the books I want make an appearance at ARe - if it takes a month it takes a month :) I just felt like whining yesterday :)

      Delete
  3. I totally agree re DRM, although the wonderful Calibre installed on my laptop now has various plugins to alleviate that problem.

    Geographical restrictions used to stress me out so much but now I am at the stage where I know I can't change anything so there is no point in getting stressed about it all. I just say 'goodbye' to those authors and go shopping at ARe for DRM-free authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day when I have time I will learn all that Calibre is capable of - ATM I've using it to convert MS Word into ePub :)

      And I'm lucky enough not to have been burnt with geographical restrictions *touch wood* as m/m books don't seem to have that issue (thank goodness)!

      Delete
  4. I just don't both buying if it has drm - like Jen, I got burned way back when and I'm holding a grudge. :)

    I know what you mean about the pokey release times, too. PITA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So a book would say DRM-free if is was? I have a couple of those I think, but most seem to have DRM... I don't see that many that aren't DRM...

      And I can see why the authors would want more royalties. I'd like to be able to ensure that they get the maximum royalty they can when I purchase a book, but... *wrestles with self* I'm curious though - new releases appear to be available at Amazon as well as the publisher from the get go...so does that mean Amazon has lower fees than say ARe? I guess being so big they can take less of a cut and still make money? But it's good to support smaller companies... *deep breath* I almost want to not buy books as I feel whatever decision I make screws someone over *heads desk*

      Delete
  5. Generally, it is a publisher decision (unless self-pubbed of course) as to when it reaches ARe. I know from friends who have publishing account there that ARe is fairly instant, no delays once the publisher goes to list it. The reason it is delayed is because the author makes more of a percentage from the publisher for royalties than through the third party sites. Yes, yes, I know it's annoying, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Good to know. And I want authors to get as many royalties as they can, but...yes, like you said it's annoying :) Oh well, a month isn't too long in the grand scheme of things I guess :)

      Delete
  6. Why shouldn't it be about you?

    (Not much to contribute otherwise, sorry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always value your contributions azteclady *hugs* And I guess I feel a bit guilty whining about it, because really it's about me wanting my cake and the time to eat it :) It does make me wonder how much these online sites charge - and I'm guessing Amazon has to be included from the get go because that is where most Kindle owners purchase books?

      Delete
    2. I confess that I'm behind the times, e-books wise, but from what I've gather reading Dear Author articles on digital publishing, it would seem that a lot of these geographical restriction/release delays, stem from shortsightedness on the part of publishers (and sometimes authors, when self-publishing).

      It should be about you, the reader, because you are their target market--so it does not make sense that, a decade or so into globally spread digital first or even digital only readership, so many outfits keep focusing mainly (if not only) on the US market and ignoring/neglecting/downright shunning the very healthy and very hungry international market.

      Delete